Thursday, October 16, 2014

Just Keep Running ~ Just Keep Running

When I signed up for the Tri-Cities marathon (coming up in a couple weeks) I remember thinking "oh ya I've got this!" I've always been a runner and with spending the last year triathlon training I figured it would actually be easy to transition from triathlon training to marathon training; I mean come on it is only one event so much easier than training for three!!  


Now don't get me wrong I am very realistic about the challenges that occur with running especially with running a marathon:
        • Running 26.2 miles is a very long ways,
        • Managing nutrition,
        • Finding the time to train via long runs,
        • Bowel issues (because we all know how kind running is to our GI tract),
        • Blisters,
        • Sore legs, feet, neck, arms, and various other body parts,
        • Getting bored after a couple miles and realizing you still have at least ten miles to go...
I love to run and I could still give you a list a million times longer than the few I just gave you.  In truth I was excited to start my marathon training and despite being a bit nervous I am still excited to run the race.  Running is a healing tool for me and the last couple of weeks have been recriminating; just having to focus on one event and it being the one that I find the most joy from.   Now the big question is whether or not I am prepared??

16 miles of treadmill running while on the road for work
While I am a little unsure as to whether I am prepared enough to run my first marathon (the longest run I have been on is 18 miles) I am very excited to participate not only because I believe every runner should experience the energy of running a marathon but also because my parents are going to be running as well.  They are going to relay the marathon with each of them running a half; their rationale being that it would force them to run.  I must brag for just a minute about my parents as they are amazing.  Both work 50 to 60 hours a week and still find time to run, bike, ski, golf (sometimes two of these activities in the same day!) all while supporting my sister and myself in whatever crazy adventure we are on at the time.  I am truly blessed and excited to have them running in the race with me.  

As those of you who follow my articles know I am a strong believer in having goals for yourself and this time is no exception:

My first overall goal is to just finish the marathon. :) 26.2 miles is no small feat and those of you who have completed one know that it isn't always easy no matter how good of a runner you are.

Next I am striving to finish the marathon in under 3 hours and 30 minutes.  Finishing under this time would qualify me for the Boston Marathon a race I have always wanted to compete in.

Secondly, I plan to run a smart race.  For me that means not starting out to fast and remembering to keep my nutrition on par. I have a tendency to one start out way to fast and two not consume any calories during my long workouts and bonk near the end.  

Lastly, I want to remember why I run and that when I am out there on the road it is just me and the road so go out there and have fun!!  


I have one more week of long running with the hope of getting 15 miles in on Saturday and 18 to 20 in on Sunday and then taper off into the 26th of October where I will step up to the start line of my first marathon!!  


What races do you have coming up?  Any advice for a novice marathon runner?  What training plans do you follow for preparing for your race?

No comments:

Post a Comment