Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Back to Back Tri's: It's a mental game

Its 8 am on Saturday morning, June 7, 2014, and I am waist deep in murky lake water for the second time in two weeks.  

Being only seven days off of my first Ironman 70.3 race it wasn't nerves creating butterflies in my stomach but lack of knowledge as to whether my legs were going to respond to 26 miles of biking and 6.1 miles of running.  

In the end it did not matter whether or not my legs were tired I merely had to make one of three choices:
            1. Give up
            2. Give in
            3. Give it all ya got
It was a game or as author Tim Galloway puts it "an inner game--that one plays with ones's mind during an athletic even."  




Race day preparation 

Despite just recently having pushed my body to a point it had never been to before I was feeling remarkably good the week after.  While this could be extreme denial I am going to chalk it up to the long hours and dedication I had put in prior to the race.  Trying to rest my legs, which had taken a majority of the beating, I spent most of my time open water swimming and lifting here and there, I even took a night off.  

Triathlon Europe Magazine
The main goal for the week in between was to replenish my massively depleted body systems; I focused on consuming more calories than I am used to.  As I tend to eat a little bit on the light side this was difficult and often made me feel awful but I knew it was necessary.  

Race day: Saturday June 7, 2014

The Moses Lake Olympic distance triathlon is really nothing to brag about; a small venue with around 30-40 women and an equal amount of men. However this was an important and meaningful race for me as a portion of the proceeds went to support the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, a foundation that hits close to home with my amazing, wonderful, and supportive boyfriend who was diagnosed with diabetes at a young age.  I was more than proud to participate and be a part of a race that may help to change the lives of others.

Swim

While the day before had been calm and hot it seemed as though the wind god's decided to bless Moses Lake with a nice stiff breeze.  Battling murky waters, where you couldn't see you hand as it sliced through water in front of you, and waves that sucked you in I still managed to have one of my fastest swim times so far (though the time is nothing to brag about).  

Bike

This is where it became a challenge for me, or rather a game--a mental game. Due to my weakness in the swim portion of a race the bike and run is usually where I make up all my ground.  Today though the legs where just not responding.  While I was still gaining on people, as well as passing, I could just feel the lack of power and spunk with each peddle stroke. For the first time a woman passed me on the bike and at that very moment I had a choice to make: 
            1. Give up
            2. Give in to the discomfort
            3. Give it all ya got
Leaving T1 with my bike

As it is not my nature to follow the above choices one and two instinctively my brain started telling me to PUSH IT.  At this point I must say I talked to myself each and every peddle stroke.  While I did not catch the girl that passed me on the bike (I later passed her on the run) I gave it everything I had in order to keep her in my sights.   With each muscle fiber screaming at me to give in I was forced to dig deep into an emotional and mental part of my soul to keep pushing that peddle down. 

Run

Normally, I enter T2 with a purpose and a lot of energy--this time I entered feeling bummed out and like I was getting my ass handed to me.  At this point I must give a huge thanks to Brandon Bowker who's unwavering support and belief in my abilities helped to propel me though the 6.1 mile run.  Changing into my shoes with Brandon giving me race stats and updates reminded me that I am still in it and still a race to finish.  Those first three miles were the least fun I have ever had running, and I am the girl who finishes a 20 miler with a smile on her face.  Everything hurt and my brain started having a harder and harder time telling my muscles to continue firing.  Reaching the half point turn around I realized that I was on track to break the illusive 2 hours and 30 minutes mark
(something I had been striving for all year).  That revelation was the turning
point; mentally, physically, and emotionally something clicked and the power came back.  Negative splitting the last 3 miles I crossed the finish line at 2 hours and 26 minutes giving me a six minute personal best and a 1st Age Group Placing.

Mental Game

Some unknown author said it best:
"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you."
Having the courage to push past adversity, challenges, and obstacles is what creates change.  Saturday's race was a challenge for me.  I was forced to be a lot more mentally tough, instead of relying on whatever natural ability I have.

It would have been very easy for me to just give in to my legs and coast my way through race but that wouldn't have been who I am.  Choosing to give it everything I had not only paid off in monetary value with me taking 1st but reminded me that I am strong and can do this. 

I learned a lot from this race, even if it was a small venue.  I gained first hand knowledge of how powerful the brain is over the human body. How belief and faith in one's self can make a difference.  That giving it everything you got is 100 times more rewarding than giving in to the pain and just making it through.  



  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment