Thursday, June 26, 2014

Sun, Sand, Waves, and of course a little Training

After participating in two back to back races, Troika Long Distance Triathlon and Moses Lake Olympic Distance triathlon, it was time for a short break and Cabo San Lucas, Baja California seemed like the right place to do it.  Seven days of soaking up the sun, playing in the waves, reading a book by the pool, and enjoying margaritas with friends as the sun went down was just the ticket.  The break forced me to slow down for a minute and let my mind, body, and soul play a little bit of catch up.  By the time I sat down on my beach chair in Cabo I came to the realization that this down time was more necessary than I believed.  Sometimes you do have to slow down in order to catch up.     

While Mexico was a necessary and wonderful break from training, work, and reality both Brandon and I were very ready to jump back into routine by the time seven days were up and with Age Group Nationals quickly getting closer and closer I was feeling antsy to start back up with my training.

Cabo crew 2014


What's next for training?

Despite being back home and antsy to start training I found that I had to ease into it; after spending two weeks race prepping and then a week of traveling my body was not prepared for the shock of high intensity training so quickly.  A couple days of light running, swimming, and some serious lifting had my body back in the routine very quickly.

Swimming


With Lake Couer d'Alene full of Ironman athletes for the upcoming IM CDA June 29, 2014 I got to pretend to be an ironman for an afternoon when I hopped into the lake for my afternoon swim. The atmosphere was electric with anticipation for the race and leaked into my own swim.


The swim still proves to be the most challenging component of a race for me; mostly because I am very slow. I am looking forward to starting back up with swim practice with Team Blaze Spokane to help hone in my technique and hopefully help for my to improve my speed.  I plan to continue with open water swims (OWS) at least one day a week as I have found that they have helped to seriously improve my strength and endurance as well as make me more comfortable in the water.  

Biking

I am excited to ramp up the training for the bike as I believe this is where I can make up a lot of time and help compensate for my poor swimming.  For my first ride back in the saddle I once again fed off the energy radiating from Couer d'Alene and all the ironman athletes which turned out to be helpful due to some seriously slugglish legs.  Hopefully those sluggish legs buff out for Saturday's hill workout. Training on the bike is a totally new concept for me as I have never done more than just go out for rides.  I am shooting in the dark, so many questions floating around in my head, and hoping that what I put into it works in the end.  


What are your favorite bike workouts? 
Do you prefer to train on the road or on a trainer?
Is interval training more beneficial than long tempos?

Running

As always this is my favorite component of racing, training, and just life in general.  I LOVE TO RUN!! yes I know I am little bit crazy, but you kind of have to be in order to finish a triathlon right?  I have not been on a track since I ran my last race for Gonzaga University track and field right before graduation and it is time to step back on one.  Despite being the strongest portion of my race you can always get better and the wonderful training tool of intervals and repeats will do just the trick. YIPPEE!!

Life


Aside from training life is awesome and bringing about some big changes.  I start a new job on Monday for an immunotherapy company where I will be helping to facilitate the transfer of the venom allergy plant from Pennslyvania to Post Falls, ID.  I am very excited for this new opportunity and am continuing going down the path of where ever life takes me. 

July is shaping up to be a very busy month for us with the Hoop Fest, Fourth of July, a wedding, trip home to Hood River to see the parents and do some golfing--hopefully not in the pouring down rain this time, and Chelan Man Olympic Triathlon.  Its a good thing we like to be busy.  


I am looking forward to our crazy crazy summer full of training, traveling, and of course as much fun as possible.  With the Chelan Man and Age Group Nationals on the horizon I could use all the help I could get and would love any advice anyone towards improving your times.  

LOVE LIFE AND NEVER STOP TRI-ING!!



No comments:

Post a Comment