Friday, July 18, 2014

Ten day "You" Challenge: Nine Loves

Happy Friday Everyone!!!  It's supposed to be a hot one here in the Pacific Northwest; hope everyone has fun plans to beat the heat.  We are headed to Lake Chelan as I will be competing in the Olympic distance ChelanMan Triathlon.  While it is not really beating the heat, or the smoke for that matter as Washington seems to be on fire right now, I am looking forward to racing again since it as been six weeks since the last one.  Actually looking forward to it might be an understatement.  Training has been a little lax the last couple weeks, with a week long trip to Mexico, quick weekend jaunt to Hood River, starting a new job, and just life in general. But that is the way it is when you are training and trying to maintain a resemblance of a social life; I shouldn't complain as I have it pretty darn good. :) 

As promised here is this week's challenge; nine loves.  As there are many more than just nine these are nine of the ones that stand out and/or have made a huge impact in my life. 

1. Running.  I love to run.  It is my escape, my safety, and my release.  There have been more times than not where a run has brought me back from whatever darkness was threatening to overrun me.  It's the feel of the pavement or trail beneath every footstep, tingle of oxygen pumping through your body, even the tightness in your chest as you breath earth's atmosphere in and out that nothing can compare to.  Its emotionally, mentally, physically, soul cleansing and I LOVE IT!! :)


2. I know that it was mentioned last week in my ten secrets but it can't be left out here either; reading.  I love to read.  Stick me in a bookstore or library and I could get lost for hours.

3. The home that I grew up in.  Some may say it is to far out there, to secluded, but for me it's perfect.  Up in the hills and woods of Hood River with Mt. Hood casting its brilliant shadow over the valley I couldn't ask for anything else.  When all the lights go out for the evening the stars dance brightly in the sky and the crickets sing their nightly song providing a calm sense of peace that is hard to find.  
View of Mt. Hood and the upper valley from the deck at my parents house
4. Please forgive the materialistic statement I am about to make but I do have to say that I love my new car.  On Tuesday this week Brandon and I went out to the subaru dealer just to look.... four hours later we were driving away with a beauty of a 2014 Subaru Crosstrek.  This is my first new car EVER and the first one that I personally bought myself.  I love everything about it, but especially  love the feeling of accomplishment and pride I have for having bought it on my own.

5.  Triathlon and training.  At the time I had been going through some "stuff" and was starting to wonder if I would ever "feel" again so while I said I was doing this as a way to see how much I could physically push myself I believe deep down it was a way to see I how much, or if, I could feel again.  About 45 minutes into the race everything changed: a smile broke out over my face, I could feel it all the way down to my toes--almost like the chills you get when something wonderful crosses your path and guess what I did feel.  I felt everything!  To this day I can't tell you exactly what it was but let me tell you it was fantastic.
Bike and gear I used for my first triathlon
6. My crazy, and amazing family. I have the most amazing, though slightly crazy, family in the whole world.  Their love and support has shaped me to be who I am today I know with every fiber of my being I could not have accomplished anything I have without them.

7. My amazingly wonderful boyfriend. Yes, the last two have been a little sappy but I can't talk about my loves without mentioning my family (above) and my fantastic boyfriend Brandon.  When he walked into my clinic for the first time I was kind of in limbo; unsure of what I wanted to do, hating my apartment, and just a little bit cynical.  His support, love, faith, and all around zest for life reassured my love of life and the beauty that surrounds it.
Hiding in the trees at Manito Park

8. Summer. It is hard to compete with summers in the Pacific Northwest.  Temperatures ranging from the 80s to the 100s the sun rarely stops shining.  With the sun constantly beaming its golden rays down on us people's attitude seems to improve and smiles tend to be more frequent.  Hiking, biking, golfing, running, boating, laying out in a hammock in the yard, or sitting by one of the many lakes that the PNW has to offer it is wonderful time of year.

Mom killing it on the golf course

9. My girlfriends. I may not have a gaggle of best girlfriends, or in reality even that many close friends, but I do have a couple really close girlfriends who I have been blessed to label so.  Despite all living many many miles apart we still keep in contact every week even if it is just to say "Hey! How was the week?" really quick.  These are the girls that even though we may not see each other very often when we do get together it is as though no time has passed.  I love these girls very much and so thankful they are in my life.

Thank you for letting me share my loves with you. These are some of the nine most important aspects of my life and I am proud to say I love them.

What are some of your loves? I would love to hear what makes your heart beat a little bit faster, or puts a smile on your face!!

Stay tuned for a recap of the ChelanMan Olympic Triathlon: pray we don't get burned out!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment