Wednesday, July 23, 2014

ChelanMan Olympic triathlon

Despite the 200,000 + acres that are on fire in central Washington 800+ people managed to gather on the shores of Lake Chelan for a fun filled multisport event of running and triathloning known as the CHELANMAN.  


I am not sure that I can tell you if it was nervousness or excitement that I had been feeling the week up to the race; most likely it was mostly  nerves though I was excited to race again. It had been six weeks since I donned my tri-suit and competed.  For most people that six weeks may not seem long however for myself it allowed me to much time to think and over evaluate.  That being said with a mix of uncertainty,  nerves, and excitement I lined up with the other age groupers and waited for the gun to go off.

Brandon and I arrived in Chelan plenty early the night before, as I needed to check in and wanted time to done my wet suit and hop in the water, only to be blessed with screaming winds ripping across the lake.  Despite the white caps rolling in onto shore I shoved myself into my wet suit, tearing a hole in it in the process, and took off for a planned 3/4 mile light swim.  The waves were HUGE.  I am pretty sure I spent more time trying riding the waves than I did swimming.  When one actually broke on top of me, causing me to roll just a little more than enjoyable I decided it was time to turn around--turning 3/4 miles into around 1/4 miles.


RACE DAY

The 5:00 am wake up call came quickly and while on a normal training day I have a hard time getting myself out of bed at that obscene hour race day is something different.  Having racked my bike the night before made it a much faster process getting all the gear packed into the car to head for the race. As we were  not coming back to the room before golfing after the race, yes we played (or rather Brandon and my parents played--I drove the cart) 18 holes of golf after the race, I had to make sure I had everything for the entire day.  

Swim

This was one of the most physical swims I had ever been in.  I am not sure what was in the water but apparently it made for some strong attitude.  Sandwiched between two people I had no choice but to take a beating from the competitor to my left who did not enjoy me being right there.  Finally I was able to maneuver myself a little further ahead and away from swinging arms.  While one of the easiest swims, as the water had calmed down and the water was crystal clear it sure felt like one of the longest.  Despite that I came out of the water in my best positioning to date and I believe one of my fastest times (though that is not something for me to brag about).  

Props to Brandon  Bowker for his awesome photography skills
Bike

One thing I love about triathlons is the setting they are usually in, and Lake Chelan fits the bid.  The pristine lake backed up against the hills made for a gorgeous setting and a perfect place for a bike ride.  The course took us right along the southern edge of the lake for an out and back that boasted some decent hills and flat sections.  At one point I glanced over my right shoulder and was astounded by the beauty that I was surround by; realized how blessed I was to even have a chance to race in places like this.

 With an average rate of 21 mph it was not one of my fastest bikes ever though I sure felt like I was pushing harder than I had pushed in a while.  As per usual I came out of the swim fairly far back place wise and took off in the bike with the goal of picking people off one by one.  I believe I went from the 15th woman to the 8th woman (however in the end the wave start messed up my placing) by the time the 26 miles were over.  

This ride made me realize that I have some serious work to put in on the bike, as I can push hard through around 20 miles and then those last six miles I often get dropped by the people I am chasing. 

Coming down the finish line

Run

Now it was time to do what I do best, RUN!   This is always my favorite part of the race.  As I take off out of transition there is something in me that gets all excited, or as my good friend Cathy likes to put it where "bitches go down".  Apparently at one of my more frustrating races I got this look on my face as I took off on the run that, in her opinion, was a look of "everyone get out of my way I am coming for you!" or rather "time to take some bitches down".  It is true though there is something about pulling out of transition on the run that flips a switch in me; it is my time, it is where it becomes my race and where no one can get in my way.  I guess in saying that excited is not the right word but rather something in me becomes fierce and even more hard than I often can already be.

This run started out fantastic, with around a mile long hill!!! Who doesn't love that?! Luckily it wasn't a steep hill but rather a very very long incline and I was able to keep my average pace of just under 7:00 min/mile.  To bring me through the finish line 1st in my age group by about 20 minutes and 7th overall out of all the women--not a bad day.  

Post race recap--what I need to work on

Transitions: I have yet to master the art of moving quickly through transition.  I am notoriously 30 to 60 seconds slower than the top women.

Maintaining pace during the bike:  While I can maintain for the first 20 miles I always lose it during the last little bit costing me a lot of time and place.

Swim: This is an easy one I just need to get a little faster.  Swimming will never be my best leg however I sure could make it stronger.

What's your favorite portion of a race?  Do you have an area that needs more work?
Any tips for fixing some of my week spots?

Bear Mountain Golf Course
For those of you who do not know my family we are a little bit crazy.  Most people after participating in a race of any sort go out to eat, go get drinks (maybe even one too many), and/or go home and lay on the couch.  My family does things a little differently.  After my race we hung around for awards than went to Starbucks so that I could clean up in the sink (Yes I did wash my hair in the Starbucks sink), grab a coffee and drove out to Bear Mountain Golf Course for our 2:30 tee time.  Yes this may seem a little nuts but let me tell you I wouldn't change it for the world.  

Brandon and I hanging out on the green

My family more often than not gets up at the crack of dawn and drives many many hours just to support me racing, the least I can do is go golfing with them in the afternoon.  If anything the views from the golf course made it 100% worth it.  Bear Mountain Golf Course is something special, with unique holes, wondrous views, little baby deer prancing around on the edges, and in our case 50 mph gusts of wind.  

With a great another great weekend, full of fun, family, memories, and a little bit of hardware, in the books I am putting my sites towards Nationals in three weeks.  Three weeks to fix any issues I have and get ready to lay it all out on the line in Milwaukee!

What has been your favorite race so far this season? Do you have any big ones coming up in the near future?  Let me know about them I would love to hear about your accomplishments!!

No comments:

Post a Comment