Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Two Weeks Till Black Diamond 70.3

With only two weeks till the last triathlon of the season, for myself, and my second 70.3 of the year the Black Diamond Long Course 70.3 is sneaking up on me quickly.



Prior to Age Group Nationals, when I decided to sign up for one more triathlon--especially one more 70.3-- it seemed no big deal.  One more race; of course why wouldn't I??  Now with all the hype and excitement over from nationals I am struggling with the motivation for one more race.


There is a reason most people try to pick the last race of their season as their main event, their big goal, and their "peak" race; because once that main event is over it becomes harder and harder to motivate (or at least I am having a hard time).

I had been training for Nationals for nine months prior to actually racing in it.  Now with it over, I am ready to switch gears.  Ready to not be on a strict training schedule where I feel guilty if I take even a day and stray from it.  

Don't get me wrong I am excited for this upcoming race; I love to race and I am excited to see what I can do in another 70.3 in which I actually know what I am getting myself into.  It is more that the motivation and training excitement is much diminished.  Which in turn has me a little bit nervous to be racing.  

Swimming

With swim practice being over with Team Blaze I have very much slacked off on the swimming aspect of training, as it is my least favorite.  Despite this lack of training and open water swims the couple times a week I have been swimming still feel strong and my stroke appears to still be improving.  Strangely enough I am not worried as much about the swim as prior races; I know that I will get through it.    



Bike

Biking has been going well with a couple of long sixty milers in there complete with head wind and everything.  I believe this is probably the area of the race I am the most nervous for as it is where you spend the most time.  As I am usually at the back of the pack coming out of the swim the bike and the run are where I make up all my time so I am banking on a strong bike.  

Despite only biking once this pas labor day I am praying that my spin classes, and past long hours spent in the saddle will help out in the next two weeks.  

Trying to out run a thunderstorm.  Ended up getting caught in it!
Run

As per usual this is the area I have the least concerns about, as running is something that comes naturally to me.  On top of that I have been very motivated to run and have been putting in some good strong miles.  Now this is a great motivation to have as I am running in my first ever marathon about a month after the Black Diamond 70.3 in hopes to qualify for Boston--meaning I need to get my butt in gear and get some serious miles in!


 It may not be a "big" race but it is an important one as it is supporting the Wounded Warrior Project for Team Blaze Member Brenda Conner Day and I am proud to be racing to help support her and all other affiliated with the Wounded Warrior Project.  So while the jitters, concerns, and nerves are present (as per usual) I am looking forward to the race and no matter what will be happy to have been merely been a part of something so powerful.  



What continues to motivate you to get back out there and keep pushing forward?



No comments:

Post a Comment